الجمعة، 30 أبريل 2010

Karma


I thought of writing in several topics, but what attracted my attention the most is the power of giving and helping. Few years ago, I was unaware of how giving and helping can influence people's relationships and how it changes lives and attitudes.

It started when I joined the agency I am working with.Many vulnerable people and empathetic stories I had to hear and translate transferring pain into written context so that people would get some bits of life as food and in kind assistance. During that time, I wondered how we can help the increasing number of needy people cope with life in the new land. Therefore I had to dwell into their stories to identify the need, understand it and find ways to fight it.

I was inspired the most with a lady who works with us as an office cleaner. She is very well-behaved, helpful and proud even though she belongs to the refugees' community. Whenever an individual needy person comes seeking assistance, she hurries to get him or her water, calms him or her and eases the burden he or she might feel. Once, I visited her in her place and was surprised that she was living with her extended family in a two rooms- wooden house. Plus, I discovered that she adopted two girls and raises them up as their mother died. I was in her humble place surrounded by generosity and love that I never found in any other place. This lady is a great example of how to be rich in giving and helping others.

I used to believe that you can not give away something unless you own it. However, working with refugees taught me that there are many things to be given and there are many people in need of those things desperately. Some people would feel that givers are stupid and easy to be fooled. Therefore, they just want to use them and exploit them and just forget about them once they are done with their benefits. However, givers never wait or expect a reward or a payback. It is a spontaneous self-directed action. It is just being happy to make others feel happy.

Once, I asked my mentor about the good things that happen to me and about my zero-frustration status. She replied "it is Karma. You have done well to people somewhere, sometime in the past, and good deeds never forget you".

ليست هناك تعليقات: